Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Those that don't carry their own rifles and pay to hunt, generally don't use 700's. Those are also the last ones to get advice about anything hunting related from.

Carry on

They certainly aren’t the type I would generally seek advice from, but they are not necessarily the last, either.

Not sure what to make of your post, but it shows as a reply to me.

If you are suggesting I don’t carry my own rifle, you are mistaken. Been carrying my own all my life. Well, except for one antelope hunt in Wyoming where I took two of my nephews. Loaned each a rifle, didn’t take one for myself. After the second got his antelope down, I “borrowed” my own rifle and carried it until I got my own antelope - so even then I carried it while I was actually hunting.

Also, if you are suggesting I pay the big bucks to hunt, you are again mistaken. We hunt Wyoming antelope on both public and private land. When on private land we give the landowners $50 per antelope down plus the landowner coupons, which I think are worth $16 each. None of the several ranches we hunt want have asked for money – the $50 is just a goodwill offering on our part. Earlier this week I sent a thank you letter to one of the ranchers with a photo of Daughter #3 and her first big game animal, a doe antelope taken last year on his ranch. We hope to be back on his ranch again in October, along with a couple of other ranches.

Since I got started hunting Colorado big game in 1982, missing only one year since, I have paid to hunt private land in Colorado exactly three times. The first time was in 2009 or 2010 when my hip was so bad I could hardly walk around the truck. I paid $500 for the opportunity (and was happy to have it) but ended up passing on the shots offered. Another was a year or two later when my hip was still bothering me and I paid $300. The last was for the opportunity to hunt a rancher’s hay field. He didn’t want any money but I took a decent-sized buck and left a goodwill check for $100 in his screen door when I left. All of my other hunts have been on publicly accessible land. (This includes Colorado’s Ranching For Wildlife ranches, which are equally available to all Colorado residents and for which licenses cost the same as regular public land licenses - about $49 these days).

Oh sweet Jesus. PM me your address and I'll mail you a clue.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"