Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You will usually find people that pay to hunt, as well as on their own, not to mention own, or have owned almost the full spectrum of rifle makers, often-times provide far better recommendations that from some of those who eschew paid hunting. To some, since they can't afford it, must condemn it in order to satisfy their own limitations. . One gets to see and experience folks from many walks of life, with a wide knowledge of hunting. A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and those are the ones I avoid soliciting advise from, like for example, hunting with a cold chamber. Then again, with a 700, not only will you have to mind the fail on fire safety, but rounds tumbling out if the bolt catches on a limb..

Anecdotal white noise is anecdotal white noise...

Fact:
Come to AK and hunt and you will be following someone like me (PM an address and I will send you a tee-shirt wink ) in a much younger version. You will have a cold chamber.

I would happily bet the number of rifles you have owned falls short of mine by at least an order of magnitude. You will have owned more Roys than me, but that is just my superior taste showing up... wink

As for affording higher end guns... well, I suspect you would lose that argument on its face, instantly.

Popular has NEVER equaled "right" nor "good" nor "better" nor "mechanically superior" nor "anatomically correct" nor "smarter" nor "stealthier"... it has usurped a niche of know-nothings bent on proving exactly that. Those with "tattoos", tee-shirts, and testosterone routinely show where the clues are hidden.

As for the locking bolt... for those so totally unaware as to need this tutorial... Really???
1) The bolt lock elimination was a lawyer-driven cluster but many locking bolt releases are available cheap on EBay and many other sites,
2) Carrying COLD as you ABSOLUTELY would be in AK obviates the concern about being so oblivious to your environment as to dump your magazine with one naughty limb. It would take real doing to dump anything, let alone a full magazine.
3) That cadre from "many walks of life" has routinely required "saving" from pitfalls ranging from ankle-deep water at floatplane disembarkation to coffee-water boiling under 210F . Both barely survived and proved it by bringing up both incidents repeatedly...
4) Some you bad-mouth spend more time in a year hunting than you do in a decade... or more...

Has cold bore been a standard in AK for a long time or is it a fairly recent practice? I recognize that Kodiak is somewhat isolated, but when I was stationed there from 96-99, nobody I knew of hunted with a cold bore. In fact I never heard the words cold bore uttered. Is cold bore the standard only for clients being guided or is it common across the board? Not looking to pick a fight at all, I am just wondering how I never heard of it despite spending 3 years in AK hunting circles. In fact, I can't remember reading about it in the many books I have read and I can't remember seeing play out on the AK hunting shows I have watched.