Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by msinc
Not very often does Hollywood get anything gun related correct, but they sure did in that movie with Kevin Costner titled "JFK".....The Italian Carcano, just as they said in the movie, "has to be the worst shoulder fired weapon ever made"...If you have ever handled one that is bad enough, but to actually fire one and then think about the actual shooting that was {I guess} done that day....I gotta agree, "the guy couldn't do the shooting" I mean, in reality the idea someone, anyone, did that shooting with that rifle....honestly makes the so-called "magic bullet theory" seem entirely plausible.
I guess you are looking for more modern stuff, but I am just surprised that nobody mentioned this rifle on this thread up until now.

The problems with the Carcano relate mostly to the bore size (.268") when the common bullets in 6.5 are .264". Sort of a recipe for poor performance, added to a gain-twist barrel, and you've got a whole smorgasboard of crap-on-a-stick. When Hornady does up a batch of ammo for them, they actually DO use .268" bullets, thus making them almost useful. Winchester and Remington (Oswald had both, IIRC) Carcano ammo did NOT use .268" bullets.

No argument that they were crap, but they aren't "modern" crap.

I don't think that any of the big three American ammunition makes, FED/REM/WIN, ever offered factory loaded 6.5x52 Carcano ammo. When I was a kid, the only common factory ammo made for foreign military cartridges other than the 7x57 and 8x57 was Norma and in a couple of cases, 6.5x54 M-S and 11mm Mauser come to mind, from CIL.