Originally Posted by TreeMutt
luck has a lot to do with killing a big trophy.

Luck has almost everything to do with killing a big trophy. wink

You mentioned it's "thick, rugged country". I've found that when hunting thick cover, deer are more apt to turn DEFCON 5 when it's brush/foliage I've come in contact with than they are my tracks. As well, there's a good chance that where you're hunting is a bedding area or close to it. I've also noticed deer being "fussier" in these areas than any other.

Given your description, I'd tell you not to sweat it much. It seems you're able to witness this activity which tells me if the deer you're looking for shows himself, it's already too late for him. If you get the one doe in that area that insists on creating a scene and refusing to vacate the premises, well, that's what that doe tag in your pocket is for. whistle

I've fiddled a lot with scents over the years but anymore I prefer to hunt clean. I know some guys have luck with lures and cover up scents (and I've had some myself) but I've also witnessed it doing more harm than good. My success on mature deer has gone up considerably when keeping it simple - hunt clean and always, ALWAYS hunt the wind.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D