My interpretation would have been she did go on alert. The tail wag was a signal to every Deer that could see it. She didn't panic, but she knew you had been there recently. Did a Buck in the back take another trail because of it? Nobody knows. Tail flicking and tail flairing may be two different signals. One I'm always sure of, the other I'm not. Tail flicking while browsing, I'm going this way. Tail flick after she smelled your track? Maybe a subtle difference in the flick.

I don't get worked up as much as others about scent. All the examples they give of fooling a Deers nose, I can reply the same. I have had more Deer than I can remember, walk into my scent cone with the wind at my back and either ignore me or stop and stare. Others, I'm sure have busted. I hear them snorting out there and there is obviously a reason why. Best guess is they smelled me. Point is they are still in the immediate vicinity. They didn't leave the county. I think, you just made a mistake, for now I know you are close by.

Still hunting as much as I do, I can't keep the wind in my face all the time. If I can I take advantage, if I can't I don't worry about it. In addition Deer are often curious creatures. I've called them in, waved them in with a handkerchief, stomped them in closer by imitating their foot pound. Bobbed my head back at them to keep them wondering. Fun stuff.

Last edited by battue; 07/10/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler