I have seen mixed reactions to deer crossing my trail from none to bolting and snorting. Some of the best hunters I have seen are the Kalahari Bushman many have never had a bath in their life. When Bow hunting I was more conscious of scent than for rifle hunting. I have used Fox pee, skunk, cedar, deep woods off, sage and doe scents with differing results. Campfire smoke seems to work well and is universal.I have also intentionally stepped on every cow pie I run across and done the same thing soaking my boots in an Elk wallow to mask scent. This makes you real popular in the truck later.

One hunter I read about was trying for a big buck that only would be seen off season. Apparently a vehicle would spook it so the hunter road a mountain bike in one day and got the deer. Might be worth trying and with a cart would be a great way to get a big deer out especially if down hill.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli