Things I don't understand about the situation. You go in early for two miles, on public land. Can only see around 120 yards max. After you arrive on stand, let's say perfectly scentless, you never are and it sounds like you are there for the day-first big mistake if you have a choice IMO-how do you know how many unclean heathens like me have fouled your perfect backtrail for two miles back? How many have left the Deer going this way and that from being spooked by human scent? How long do Deer remember the direction and projected destination of the various humans whose paths they cross? Are they still worrying about it an hour later? If so, again your Pa Deer are different than mine. I've busted Deer out of their bed. They usually run off a little, most times very little, especially in really thick country, look back, and then go about their current business. Sometimes they even come back in a short time to where they were bumped. (I really like to bump Deer in the course of a day. The more I bump the more I like it and there is a good reason for it.) smile

After you get on stand, sweated up as you admit, what do you think happens to that stink sweat cone you have brought with you? You think it is covered up when you finally get dressed for the day?

Questions????

When we used to drive Deer a highwall was often a good stand to not only shoot but to observe Deer behavior. Here come the Deer and a little later the smelly drivers. Then all of sudden the Deer are behind the drivers and they go on doing what they not so long ago were previously doing. Sometimes the drivers never knew they pushed them out. I'd love to have had the opportunity on the Bucks that have let me pass by within good shooting distance. They were watching me, but I never saw them. Sometimes I even smelled them.

Addition: A rifle that can reach out-120yards is usually more than adequate-is the best scent cover I know of. Scent control is much more of a problem for the bow hunters.

Last edited by battue; 07/09/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler