What started the whole "is the .260 dead" with me was when I discovered that the Barnes Vortex line had dropped the .260 from their line of factory ammo. In the past 10 years, since I bought the .260 for my wife, I've never had a problem going to the few local gun shops in our area, and finding a good selection of 120 grn factory ammo for it.
This year is QUITE different. After going to 3 different gun shops, I managed to find 1 old, dusty box of 140 grn cor-lokts. Those same shelves are now filled with 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. Hence the question, is the .260 dead? There were many good answers, things that were never a issue for me, that I simply wasn't aware of. It's one of the reasons I do like this site. I may not post much, but I do come here almost daily to read the posts.

My wife and I are simply deer hunters. We're in the "sight in before the season begins" and then go hunting group. We'll get out once a month during the season( our season lasts 4.5 months here in South Carolina) and shoot a couple of times just to make sure nothing has moved. We MAY go thru 2 boxes of ammo in a year. I don't reload, so I rely on what Factory ammo is available. Her rifle, a Kimber I bought used off of here, shoots these amazing, tiny little groups, with nearly any 120 grn load I've tried. I've never wanted, or felt the need to shoot anything heavier it. The mild recoil, and report, makes it the ideal set up for my wife, and granddaughter, and the damn thing kills like there's no tomorrow. Thankfully, Superior Ammo is less than 10mins away, so I can always get ammo from them.