Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'll believe that the 6.5 Creedmoor is mainstream when I see the rifles and ammo at Wal-Mart alongside the 243s and 270s.

So you're in doubt of the 6.5 Creedmoor's viability if it doesn't have the popularity of the 243 or 270 ala Walmart. Pretty high bar, one not even the 300 WSM (the most successful cartridge roll-out of the last 50 years) can equal.

You're irrational.

PS Jeff, meant to say I believe "you're irrational on this point" not "you're irrational" (which isn't a very nice thing to say, and clearly not true).

My apology in advance.

Typing on an i-pad sucks, and I tend to rush my thoughts using one.

Brad,

I never take that which is posted here personally unless it is a rude, therefore uncalled for, comment and/or a vile personal attack, such as someone posting that they wished that I would die or have another stroke. I just put those people on ignore and go about my business. I think that it is best to shun people who are rude. If you don't acknowledge them then they don't exist in your universe and all is good. Civil disagreement is healthy, as it keeps everyone thinking. OTOH, rude disagreement, including name calling, is just rude behavior and the people engaged in it are unworthy of respect even if their arguments are worthy of discussion.

Perhaps it is irrational for me to set such a high bar, but there isn't any "standard" threshold for "mainstream", so my use of Wal-Mart as my standard is probably as good as anyone's, right?

If the 6.5 Creedmoor becomes a mainstream cartridge, it would be the first commercial 6.5mm bore cartridge to do so in the U.S. in all of recorded history. The 256 Newton was, I believe, the first commercial 6.5mm bore cartridge introduced to the U.S. market and neither it, nor those 6.5mm bore cartridges that have been introduced since have gained much market share. The only 6.5mm bore cartridge that has gained much market share in my lifetime is the 6.5x55 and the initial vehicle responsible for contributing to its success were the tens of thousands of inexpensive Swedish Mauser military rifles that were imported into the U.S. post-WW2. Even with its success, I still wouldn't call the 6.5x55 mainstream, because all of the major firearms manufacturers don't catalog it as a regular offering. Or so it seems to me.