I bought every gun I have for a specific purpose. I am very pragmatic about guns. It has to do what I want it to do. If not it went down the road. If it did I still have it. And if i still have it I am very attached to it. Emotional attachments to inanimate objects is probably the subject for psychiatrist and psychologist to ponder as evidence of mental problems,and if so I am certainly guilty. I hunted many many years with only one gun, a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I have gradually added to the herd as need have arisen and financial condition improved. At 70 and retired with back injuries (from my tail bone through my neck), guns are my only hobby. I have never accumulated any other kind of stuff. My injuries limit my ability and time to hunt and shoot, but I still do what I can and am an avid reloader. I cannot figure out why I would want to pare down my accumulation. The guns I seldom use only need cleaning occasionally, and that isn't a bad job. They hurt nothing sitting in the safe. There are only a couple of guns I am considering selling. They were gifts that were well meant, but either not very good or for which I had little use. Getting rid of these would make more room in my safe for something more appealing to me. Like the side-by-side double barrel shotgun I have always wanted. If guys want to pare down and go back to basics I will encourage them to do what they want to do. What I want to do is keep mine. My son is a gun nut, too. He will get mine when I go and I am glad to see him have them. Just not right away.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.