CH
I brought up the Newton an the Whelen to point out that wilcats often enuf operate at wilcat pressures, an that as I said before, this can lead to fireworks of the wrong kind.
I dunno about this other forum, an if you are drawin a parallel, be corrected that I'm not personally attackin anybody, an if the other parrallel is that I'm an idiot like this other guy-well, you are welcome to your point of view.
I'm gettin to the point of repeatin myself again and again here, but I do it, cuz folks on this electronic gizmo seem to think that like the guy with the 45-70 Marlin, that anything goes.
I'm gettin to think that we have a large number of suisidal reloaders in this country.
Headstamps can be a convenient method for organizing cartridges according to pressure, it all depends on your system.
Pressure for any hobby reloader are at best an indirect estimate, I wont go into all the variables, I'm gettin too tired to delve back into it all.
Pressure variations are common even with factory loads, we need to expect it, thus we need to cut the potential for accident down-for high pressure loads, my opinion is to use suitable heavy duty brass.
I've worked with a friend who I consider to be one of the best hobby reloaders I've ever known, and the thing about this hobby to remember is that everything effects everthing else-get it right an you'll take home the lever action silhouette trophy, do it wrong, an well...
So, if you want get your 2500 fps. I could say go get you a 458 Win mag., leave the 45-70 alone. I could say the 38-55 will do anything its supposed to do at 1500-1700fps, but it won't matter, there'll still be some suicide jockey whos smarter n me, who will justify the desire for extra speed, an who will argue about it till the cows come home.
I'm tired of this thread, but I still need to reiterate to any who are reading this that reloading is potentially dangerous, potentially deadly, an if you follow the rules, you'll stay safe, and that if you really think your smart enuff to break the rules, well, youre probably not.
Said my piece.