I was doing pretty well and was invested in real estate back around 2007-2009. Yep, we all know what happened then, and NV was the worst hit State. My moderate stock portfolio also vanished, and I had a tussle with cancer in 2007 and 2008 that hit the savings hard.

Since then I've been able to add on to my small house to increase the value much more than the addition and remodel cost; pay it off and all other debts. I had planned on working for five more years when I fell off a roof in 2013 and had to quit working as an independent contractor for a claims company. I planned on saving 80% of what I was making.

Even at this I managed to save and invest a bit, so I have a small nest egg, and I sold my small home in Montana that had no mortgage. With our investments and small SS payments we get by. My home and second parcel attached are going up in value fast, but so are taxes and insurance. I could sell out if necessary and use 1/3 of the proceeds to buy something that would be comfortable but not a palace, leaving me double the cash and investments.

So, yes I have enough to live on and have a bit of fun if we watch our expenditures. If we need to splurge a bit or pay an unexpected repair bill I sell a gun or two. At 70 I don't do any expensive hunts or trips anymore. I was fortunate to have done a bit during my best money production years and am satisfied with my life.

If we kick off when we're supposed to we'll get there before going broke.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”