Originally Posted by viking
So da wife and I are in our mid 40's. We each have mutual fund accounts. We started those a few years ago by rolling them under one umbrella, because we each had little retirement accounts from various employers and now they are under one roof.

Her employer and mine have R/A's, and we add to our mutual funds every year for the obvious reasons. What I would like to do is take 1k (I think that's the minimum) and go to Charles Schwab and have them invest in the stock market.

Now I know there will be some of you here that will say "do it yourself". Ah no, I don't know enough about it, stuff like that isn't my thing, thanks anyway.

So the advice I am asking is Charels Schwab a good place to start, or Edward Jones? Any other firms?

What I have noticed over the years is that it seems older guys and guys in the know that have investments don't want to give advice, almost secretive. I knew one old timer that suggested to me 20 some years ago to invest in mutual funds. I took his advice and got started at about 35. I don't understand why guys don't give advice to younger people. It's like it's they just want to be smug about it and look down their noses.

People are hesitant to give too much advice on directly what to buy or what to invest in because its really a personal choice, based on what you the investor knows and understands, what is risk tolerance is etc. You should not tell people what to put money in or they will feel you are at fault if it doesnt work out.

As far as paying Charles Scwab to invest in stocks for you... bad idea. If you do not understand in well, and know why it is a good investment, then you should not be owning it. Individual stocks are much riskier, and you should not just turn your money over to someone to invest. You need to know and understand it. if you do not want to spend the time to know, then stick to index mutual funds or something similar.