I retired last year at the age of 52. Worked for 30 yrs 9 months and loved my job. Could have retired at 25 years at the age of 46. Financial Advisor said if I worked another year I would make $160 more a month on my pension. I get a 2-1/2 % raise every year to my pension. Go figure?
I live in Hawaii, I get free medical, I don’t really watch my spending now. pension is almost like play money after the bills are paid. I saved quite a bit during my whole career and I think I made the right decision.
I have a Roth, an ira and a government pension.
Took six trips this year, one to Japan and two hunting trips. Going back to japan in 2018 and probably every year after.
Enjoying life, waking up when I want to, going to sleep when I want to. Not gonna work another job. Don’t want to be commited to anything.
My wife quit her job after 24 years and has to wait 11 more years for her pension to kick in.
I always told my workers to save more for retirement even though we have a good pension but most don’t listen. Within a month after retiring I got a bunch of phone calls inquiring how I did it. I told them the same thing, PLAN FOR RETIREMENT!
Some say you have to enjoy now which is true but I’m loving life at the age of 53. I’m still in good heath and can still hunt, fish and travel when I feel like it.
My investments made quite a bit this year. Now I’m wondering how much taxes I will have to pay.
Enough of the bragging....
Life is great!

Last edited by Keahi; 12/09/17. Reason: Added the quote “ PLAN FOR RETIREMENT !”

Retired and loving it.