Originally Posted by CAS

It's harder, slicker, tougher, wears better, goes on thinner, has less shine and won't peel, flake, or chip like KG will. Other than that, they are about the same.

I have experience with 3 coatings (Cerakote, KG GunKote, Lauer's Durakote)

KG Gunkote has been around the longest of the 3 and is available in 4 different formulas for firearms. It has undergone several reformulations/improvements over the years and like any coating will peel, flake or chip especially if not prepped correctly. I think KG GunKote has received some bad press due to improper prepwork, early formulations etc.

I either parkerize or use KG's pretreatment: K Phos and have never experienced what I consider unacceptable performance (and I work my rifles hard - mtn pack trips)

KG just shipped me some 2400 series GunKote that I will be using on the next 5 rifles I am currently building. This stuff will definitely get a workout.

My thoughts on Cerakote? Excellent product, very rugged but short shelf life in the bottle, expensive and for some a challenge to mix (judging by my PMs).

Is Cerakote better than KG GunKote? Maybe but not that much better if KG GunKote is properly applied. The new KG Gunkote may be just as tough, maybe even tougher in some aspects. I have seen Cerakote chip and scratch too on some firearms.

MtnHtr