The rifle in these photos was built on a Remington 700 ADL action with a stainless steel super match grade Pac-Nor barrel that has 3 grooves and a 1 in 9" twist barrel. PT&G built the reamer and it is for a .1945" tight necked chamber. I had my gunsmith add the flutes to the 24" barrel and he did his "thing" on the barrel so it looks like scroll-work on it. He said he used fairly course sandpaper on an orbital sander and spins the barrel at a very slow rate of speed in his mill.

[Linked Image]

The business end of the barrel:

[Linked Image]

Here is the rifle set up in an H-S Precision Varminter stock wearing a Sightron II 6.5-20x50mm scope with a duplex reticule. The bipod is a Harris swivel model in 9-13" length with leg notches and I added the Pod-Lock accessory on the bipod.

[Linked Image]

Here's a photo of the rifle as it looked last summer after I gave it a camo paint job using the Krylon Fusion camo colors. I hand cut some stencils to make the patterns on the stock after giving it a base coat of Krylon Khaki. I have not been able to convince myself to do a camo paint job on the scope, barrel or the action!! confused

The prairie dog in the photo was very satisfied with the way this rig shoots. The bullets I use are 27.8 gr. BTHP Hammetts and they leave the muzzle at around 4,000 fps with bare bullets. I have begun to use Danzac on my bullets and the velocity has dropped a wee bit. I am still working on finding the magic load with the coated bullets, but I think I'll be able to find a load so the bullets will leave the muzzle at somewhere between 3,900 fps and 4,000 fps.

[Linked Image]

If you look real close at the barrel, you will see the mirage shield I usually have on the barrel on prairie dog shooting outings. There are many times on hot summer days that the barrel gets so hot just from the sun beating down on it that you can't touch the barrel--even BEFORE you begin shooting bullets down the tube. So, the mirage shield helps fight mirage AND helps keep the sun from beating down on the barrel too.

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox