The barrel will be a custom contour by Gary Stiles. It will be half round & half octagon. It will be made trim, but will not be a flyweight. Looks are important in this project. I am looking for "a lighter" rifle, not really fly weight. Besides, I am starting with a mauser, far from being the lightest action. The barrel will be made like this one that is in the white. It will be cut to 22"

[Linked Image]

The stock will be done in a similar manor as the picture above. A cross between the mauser pattern B & the Winchester featherweight stock. Schnabel forend & all. Very trim with the same open grip that Gary used on my Whelen.

I am looking at getting the rifle in the 7 lb + range. Plenty easy for me to carry all day.

It will have bottom metal from an old mauser with trim trigger guard & the lever magazine release. Looks great! And it will save a bit of weight.

I will have the same 3 position safety added, along with a new bolt.

My goal is a calassic "mountain rifle" that would look as if it were made 70 years ago. Somthing that I could never find over the counter in a left hand gun.