This rifle started off as a Charles Daly LEFT HAND smile action. I had a buddy of mine put on the Douglas barrel cut to 23" & chamber it for 35 Whelen. I then sent it to Gentry for one of his left hand 3 position safeties. I wrapped it all up along with a great chunk of Turkish walnut that I bought here from Ray Atkinson and took the works to Gary Stiles a gunmaker who loves working on mausers.

Gary Put on a new bolt with a nicer angle then the original. It also has 3 checkered panels. He got rid of the push button magazine release & made a new, in the trigger release that is much cleaner in appearance than the original. He smoothed up the action & made it feed perfectly. I now know what CRF is supposed to feed like. None of my Winchesters feed this way, they all push the cartridge along for 1/2" before it snaps behind the claw. My mauser goes from the magazine to the claw....no free wheeling at all. Gary added Talley quick release rings & I have a Talley peep sight to use as back up should a scope go bad on a hunt. I also had him install a NECG Banded front sight. For blueing I went with a matte finish.

Garys stock work is truly a work of art. The stock is classic & trim. Checking is 24 LPI in a Fler de Le (sp?) pattern. The inletting looks like it was done with a laser.

I have shot this rifle at the range with some extra boxes of factory ammo I had around. I will be working up some hand loads this spring. It has to be ready for elk season this fall! I will be using 250 grain Nosler Partitions.

The Left Hand Daly action worked better than I could have imagined for a custom. I have another action with Gary now that will eventually be my "mountain rifle". But that rifle is a ways off. For now....I will have to enjoy the whelen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]