Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Tundra's a great 1/2 ton and will do an excellent job. However, there's a huge market for 3/4 tons and some dealers are trying to tap into it with pickups that aren't designed for the job. I've been told that it's a 3/4 except for the springs but I've never seen a 3/4 with 6 bolt hubs.

They put a 10.5" Dana/Spicer rear end in the Tundra's with their max tow pkg., that's a stout rear end. Ford 3/4 and 1 ton's use Dana 70's 10.5" in gas trucks (some diesels). Dana 80's 11.5" in diesels for the most part. GM and Dodge used to use these as well. GM used to use their 14 both 10.5" as well. GM and Ram switched to AAM 10.5" gas and some diesels and 11.5" diesels (8.1L v8 and v10 gassers). In 2014 Ram started putting AAM 11.5" in all their 3/4 and 1 tons both gas and diesels. 11.8" in HO CTD DRW.

Tundra uses what they call a IFS 9" front diff, but it's a 8.7". Ford uses a Dana 60 9.75". GM and Ram use AAM 9.25" front diff's.

So 3/4 and 1 ton's have larger front and rear axle's/diff's. I'm not up on Toyota's t-cases and transmissions. I have every reason to believe they are well made for their intended purpose.

If you look at GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, payload, towing numbers, you'll really see the differences. If you're gonna hang a 1,000 lbs. plow on the front, put 3,500 lbs. in the box or tow 15,000 lbs. you have to get a truck that was made to do that. One, so the truck will be able to handle it, Two, so you're good to go legally. Get in an accident while you're over weight and that's a real mess.

Again, not crapping on the Tundra at all. Very good truck for it's intended purpose.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!