The Tundra may be a little outdated but IMO, it offers the best chance of reliability in the 1/2 ton truck market. I actually think 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's as a whole are some of the better built vehicles around today. They seem to hold up really well and can do so for a pretty good while.

What I find interesting is the Tundra is approximately a 15 year old design...I'd guess. However, it still compares well to the newer offerings from Ford, Chevy, and Ram. It certainly could use some updates though. I'm sure an 8 or 10 speed transmission could bump the mileage up, different rear end gearing options, and some minor engine modifications could raise the power and efficiency of the 5.7L in the Tundra all the while maintaining reliability.

I'd also like to see Toyota offer a diesel in a 1/2 ton and I'd like to see them jump into the 3/4 and 1 ton market as well. However, I'm not sure they will ever jump in that market. IMO, they know the loyalty and the solid base that Ford , GM, and Ram have in regards to heavy duty trucks in the USA. Don't think they will ever make that jump.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02/13/18.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA