Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My brothers Z71 5.3 gets no better then 15.5. I get 17.5 as an average with mine(more highway then city ) , considering my last tacoma got maybe 2 miles per gallon better I will take that and its' reliablity any day of the week

I have a coworker with a 4x4 Z71 5.3 and cylinder deactivation. He asked what MPG I get commuting, and I said 15 -16 MPG. He said he doesn't get much better at 16 - 17 MPG. We have a similar commute and he drives less aggressively. I don't think the Tundra is as bad as people think, comparing similar vehicles but his truck is a little older (2012), and not the latest.

I believe the newest 1/2 tons with 10-speed trannies "can" get better mileage than a Tundra if driven lightly, especially with cylinder deactivation. However, if you drive aggressively (which is simply keeping up with the flow of traffic in some places) then all the trucks will have similar power requirements and efficiencies. They won't be in tall gears or deactivating any cylinders. In other words, the "work" done is the same since they all weight about the same. They all start sucking gas.

I have seen this with different vehicle in my job. If they weigh the same, have similar engines, similar trannies, etc. then guess what? Under load, they have the same power needs and energy efficiency. Can't get around it unless loads are light and more efficient powertrains and drivetrains are used.