Practical?? Nah. Want?? For me absolutely! So much of a want I searched & found a New Haven 1990's Win M70 Safari Express in 375H&H as a doner. So I could have a matching pair of Safari Expresses one chambered in 375H&H and one chambered in 300H&H. Both rifles are setup exactly the same, scope, mounts, Teflon coated metal, down to the same rifle sling.
Nostalgia? Yeah! Is the 300H&H as good or better than any other 30 cal magnums? Probably not. Is it more expensive to feed? Maybe. All in all I don't care about that stuff. I've always read everything I could geta my hands on about hunting Africa, which is where my love affair started for Holland & Holland cartridges.
For me they work, period. I can load both cartridges with whatever is laying on my reloading room floor, seat a good bullet on top of it, and both cartridges shoot well. Felt recoil, I think, is less than the younger cartridges using the same bullet weights. Might just be my perception?
I like'm both so well neither will be sold...but passed on to my son.
Of course I'm by no means trying to convince anybody that they need to own a 300H&H. But if you do get one or have one now, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.