F
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by 338Rules
I wonder what EE would do to solve that. Those mags have the taper built in.

I’ve often thought about converting an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, to .303 B ,
or some semi-improved variant

303 British - another cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Ellwood would have changed the magazine follower. Because there is less taper with the Epps cartridge, the issue follower pushes the cartridge up too high and the bullet tip catches on the upper part of the chamber. It cannot be pushed forward into the chamber. At one time, he did have target (flat) followers that sat in the top of the mag over the existing follower. That made them single shots.

The simplest way to lessen the problem was to load a 303 British cartridge in first, and no more than two Epps cartridges in on top.

Op - sorry for the 303B hijacque

SteveR - Thanks for filling in some details for me. I’ve seen/heard of some smle’s converted to 308Win, but they always had a different box magazine. Not sure if barrels were changed too. ;-)

Still for nostalgia, my Jungle Carbine tops the list. Vicious kicker that one.
Folding buttstock with an appropriate height cheekpiece couldn’t hurt.
Not worth the heartache of improving the chambering, or playing with taper.
Tough to improve on practical perfection of a packaged design.

Any improvement in that regard would have to be verified by maintaining the legendary rate of aimed fire against case stretch and extraction issues.

Win ‘94 and .30-30 , another classic 30

Super 30 Practical ? Maybe in the right package. 26” Ruger #1, Yes definitely. Pre ‘64 Sure
H&H or Rigby ? Out of my league, but not out of place.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.