Mathman, I went and took a look at my reloading data, cause you made me question myself.

With Reloader 22, my H&H is using 70 grains for 2985 FPS while a friend's .30-06 I was playing with was getting 2750 FPS with 62 grains. That's only 235 extra FPS for 8 grains (or 12%) more powder. I guess it is a bit subjective as to whether or not that extra FPS is worth the extra cost in powder and possibly recoil, blast, action length, etc.

With IMR 4831, my .300 H&H uses 73 grains to reach right at 3000 FPS, where my .300 Win is (or was, since I gave the rifle to my nephew) using 74 grains to reach right around the same speed, so these two are pretty close, though both use a lot more powder than -06 or 308 sized rounds. All three of these rifles were shooting the same 180 grain bullet when I wrote all this down.

These are small sample sizes, so if you have contrasting notes, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
My H&H does have 2 more inches of barrel than the other two rifles though. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Last edited by T_Inman; 06/16/18. Reason: clarity