Well "Practical" is a word that may be perceived differently by different people.
I earn my living (about 985% anyway) making flintlocks. Are they "practical"?
Yes, if the purpose is to enjoy one more then you might enjoy (as an example) an AK47 or an AR15. Having be as far behind in my work load as 8 years, apparently there are many dozens of men and women that agree.

For customers who disagree within the State of Wyoming, I also have a lot of experience making ARs and AKs too.
Some still prefer a classic Bolt action, like a 98 Mauser, a Lee "Speed" or a Mannlicher–Schönauer. I just made a classic-looking left handed bolt action for a man in 9.3X62 by re-shaping a Ruger M77 Mk2 and re-barrelling it to that caliber with a barrel I contoured to the classic 1910 shape.
Is that as practical as an FN-FAL?

Many will say yeas. Many others will say no.

gnoahhh above may be closest to the real issue here.

Who cares if it's not practical in someone else's eyes.

I have owned and used several 300s in my life. I sold them all except my 300H&H. Why? Because I like it the best. Ballistics are in the same league as most others 300s and I can't tell ANY difference in how well it kills elk than any other 300 at any range.

I just like the classic lines best.
It makes me enjoy the gun more then the other eight 300s I have owned, so to me it's the most practical of them all.