Originally Posted by szihn
The idea that when a new shape of shell comes out that the old shell suddenly stops working right is just dumb.

The 300 H&H is at least as good today as it ever was and with modern powders it's actually better.

I have made so many 300s of various types that I have lost count of them. 300 H&Hs 300 Win mags, 308 Normas, 30-338s, 300 Weatherbys, a few 300 Ultras and so on. In the field I can't tell the difference in any of them as to how well they kill. In fact the fastest ones are the ones that seem to present the most problems in loads and bullet performance if you don't pay attention tot he details.

I have paired down my 30s to a 30-30, a few 308s, a few 30-06s and one 300, which is an H&H. I sold my last 300 Win mag a few years ago. It had a 26" barrel on it. I chronographed it along side my 300 H&H and there was no practical difference at all. In fact with my 200 grain loads my H&H is actually 12 FPS faster.

Both rifles shot under MOA.

The 300 Win Mag was on an M70 Winchester and my H&H (one of 3 I have owned) is on a Mauser which I just like the looks of better.
So I kept the 300H&H.

"Practical" is not something that entered my mind because there is nothing impractical about it any more than any other 300.

If total practicality was of any concern to me at all, I would probably only own a 308 Winchester and a 30-06 and forget every other 30 cal ever made.

But "practical" is not a concern to a gun buff.

Enjoyment is the 1st concern.

All good and true, but the practical aspects keep rising to the top.
WSM and Win Mag ammo choices and availability world wide

If I had a 300 H&H M70, I’d be very tempted to either rebarrel, or recharmber to 300 PRC

Twist, Leade and throat geometry would tip the decision towards a Match tube
Rechambering would indicate a 300 WBee

But would I really have a better hunting rifle ? Maybe not.

At the end of the day that long magazine would nicely accommodate a.375 WBee

They are all HandLoading propositions.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.