Initial training should be rigorous, expensive, with cost borne by the individual. Outcome of initial training is a professional credential or license which, like most other professional licenses, requires annual or biannual continuing education/training. This is terror interdiction training, not CC training, and should be treated as such. Snowflakes should wash out due to training rigor. I don't know what this looks like because I'm not LE or military, but I presume select LE and military minds could come up with appropriate training.

Credentialing per the above would grant hiring preference and a non-modest salary bump: enough to incentivize. Continuing education and training would be paid by the school, and would count for whatever continuing ed is required to keep their teaching certs. Effort must be made to keep ID of those credentialed confidential - any sort of published annual accounting must only state #s of credentialed in a school...no names. Students and staff would clue in, but this adds a layer of uncertainty (deterrence) for attackers.

The credentialed would have no duty to engage, and would be protected from liability, as would the school, and this would need to be encoded in law. This hedges that those seeking credential are doing so in good faith.

Each classroom would be equipped with a visible safe, bolted to the wall, and secure from access by anyone except the school's armed security leader and the room's teacher, if he/she is credentialed per the above. This is needed to maintain visible deterrent...nobody knows what's in there. The credentialed teacher need not be carrying at all times.

Just some ignorant schmuck's unvetted ideas...

Last edited by Vek; 02/20/18.