Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Calvin
After three attempts, I mastered Halibut Olympia.

Preheat 375

Melt butter in bottom of pyrex dish. Put in lots of onions. Cut fresh halibut in 3/4-1" strips. Pat as dry as you can. Put two strips of hali on onions. Salt & Pepper

Cover with a 50-50 mix of Mayo and Sour Creme.

Bake 20 minutes. Pull out, put on lots of grated cheddar cheese. Bake 3 more minutes.

It's really good. My first two attempts I didn't pat dry and cut my pieces too thick resulting in too much halibut and not enough goop.

Tomorrow I will try mixing some hot sauce in the the mayo/sour cream mixture. I've got a good hunk of halibut in fridge I am working on.

I did some guessing at the missing data and took the advice provided by Calvin....it's spectacular!!!!!

Here is what I did

preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
melt 4 tablespoons butter in 2 1/2 quart baking dish

Finely slice (1/16" thick) one medium sweet onion and bisect to not have rings but 1/4 circles and add to melted butter

Cut fish (one pound of Halibut in this case) to strips approximately 1/2" X 1/2" by the length of the fillet but not longer than the baking dish.....use this fish to cover the onion.

NOTE: The fish to be thoroughly patted dry with paper towels....I destroyed a dozen paper towel sheets doing this.....dry is good in this case

Mix 2/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp dill seed, 1 tsp dill weed and 1/2 tsp black pepper fine grind....add to the baking dish thoroughly covering the fish.

Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees uncovered

remove from the oven and add 6 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese and bake another three minutes.

It's now dinner time.....if you don't like this see a doctor as there's something radically wrong with your taste buds.

I'm glad someone appreciates sour cream and mayo. grin

I put the charter boat in the water yesterday for some harvesting. Since they shut us down for commercial trolling, it's full harvest mode till charter season for me. Going to prospect a bunch of new halibut spots I've been wanting to fish for years. It'll be fresh king, halibut, spot prawns, dungie crab, rockfish, lingcod, and yellow eye for the next few unemployed months I have.