I have a few center-fire magnums. I've only harvested with one of them (7mm RM) . I've taken a couple of AZ whitetails with it. Most less than 200 yards, and one at 525 yards.

Win M70 - 7mm Rem Mag - Shooting 140gr Combined Technology BT's. They work very well.

Weatherby Vanguard - 300 Wthby Mag (new, still in box) Owned for 10 years, never fired. Never had a scope mounted on it.

Weatherby Vanguard Stainless - 338 Win Mag - Amazingly accurate with almost any 225gr factory boolits. It hates Federal 200gr accubond's (1.5" grps) and really hates the Rem 250gr Core Lokt (1.5"-2" grps).

Both of the Weatherby's are the original Vanguards, NOT the newer S2 models. The original Vanguards guaranteed sub 1.5", while the S2 guaranteed sub 1" groups with with Weatherby factory loads, or premium branded loads. The .338 shoots sub 1".

As most have stated, I own them, but are they really needed ? At the time I bought them, probably yes. But with the addition of other chamberings to my collection, probably not today. It's just hard to beat old Granddad .30-06 for just about anything in the lower 48

These days, with the advent of better designed cartridges, better powders, better bullet designs, I tend to be leaning towards 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges. The good old .243 Win, 6x47L, 6.5 Grendel. The rifles are lighter in weight, extremely accurate, and with well placed shots will anchor just about anything that I hunt these days, and do it with much less recoil. But, I have been contemplating a new build in 6.5x47L, or a .260 Rem, or maybe even a 6.5 creed as the brass is readily available and much cheaper than the 6.5x47L brass.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.