[quote=szihn]I have sold all my "magnums" but two. I kept my 375H&H and my 300 H&H. I do own others that are quite powerful but don't have the word "magnum" in their name. Those that come to mind are the 9.3X62, the 9.3X74R and the 404 Jeffery.

"Magnum" is not a definitive term at all. It was used mostly to mean "modern" in the 60s and 70s and some of the 80, more as a marketing aid then to define anything that was really meaningful.

We have a 416 Rigby and a 600 Nitro which are not named "magnum", and we also have a 222 Remington magnum, a 22 Rim Fire magnum and the 357 magnum and 44 magnum.
The word "magnum" is used to denote "more powder capacity" then the standard shells of the day, but that's a loose way to see it I suppose. A 22 WMR has more capacity then a 22 LR and is a "magnum" ....in that it's a rimfire, ..... but is far behind the lowly 22 Hornet. which is one of the least powerful of all the Center Fire 22s.

How ironic.....my wife and I were discussing exactly this, just this morning! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/27/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024