Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
260Remguy,

Thanks for the suggestion, but Warne Maxima rings are too high to suit me, even the lowest ones. In addition, I like the detach and return to zero of the Weavers. I am fully aware of what is available, and I rather like Weaver rings. I think the ubiquitous Weaver rings have a lot to recommend them from a design and engineering standpoint. That is why I specifically asked about those two models of Weaver rings.

Best,
Gun Doc

Warnes are my favorite Weaver-style rings, both the fixed an QR styles, that's why I recommended them.

I guess that I've missed whatever attributes they have from a design and engineering standpoint.

We each like what we like. Warnes are very attractive, but too tall for me.

The Weaver rings I am discussing appear to be made from an extrusion, where the important dimensions are apparently well controlled. From a design/engineering standpoint, it is rather ingenious how getting that extrusion right allows the rings to line up well without a lot of complex machining of the other parts. Nowadays the machining is a bit easier due to numerically controlled machining, but that does not take away from Weaver's original concept. The clamping is also strong without relying on complex machining, although I think the Sure Grips are an improvement.

It is true Weaver rings aren't "finely machined", but they are not as bulky as some rings are. Their quick detach nuts are rather small and tidy compared to some of the large levers some rings have. It is true you need some sort of tool, but a lot of things are suitable.

Weavers would undoubtedly detract from a fine custom rifle. But, my opinion only, they look good enough on just about any off the shelf rifle.

Two of the most famous "working rifles" in the world, Finn Aagaard's Model 70 .375, and Phil Shoemaker's Mauser .458 "Ole Ugly" wear Weaver rings. Those two men did a good bit of home gunsmithing to get those rifles exactly the way they wanted them. I'm guessing they could have used any mounts they wanted (within reason, meaning not a German claw mount that cost more than the rifle.) That is plenty of endorsement for me.

Reasonable people can disagree. I teach engineering design at a major university. So, I think I have education and qualifications to speak to their being well designed and engineered. But if you want to tell me they are not elegant in appearance, I wouldn't argue with you.

Best,
Gun Doc

I don't wish to argue with you 'cause what you or anyone else does is of no consequence to me.

I'm not an engineer, but I know what I like and what I don't like. On 1st tier rifles with Weaver or Weaver-style bases I'm most likely to use Warne Maxima rings. On lower tier rifles I am more likely to use the B-Square Sport Utility rings. I used to keep and store used Weaver rings, but I no longer keep and store them, I just throw them away when they come to me.