Originally Posted by RevMike
I was looking at a picture of Jack O'Connor's No 2 Model 70 yesterday, noticing how low his Tilden mounts sit, and wondering what combination could now be used to match that. Any ideas?

STEEL Weaver style two piece base from a number of sources combined with Weaver Top Mount low rings will be very low. (I'm not sure who makes the absolute lowest of those bases, but they all seem to be pretty low.) There is a good chance that combination will be too low for ocular/bolt clearance on a Pre '64 M70, although it might work with a Leupold Compact scope as those have smaller oculars. You will find that modern Model 70's have a bit more bolt clearance. As I mentioned earlier, "60 degree" bolt lifts like you find on Browning A-Bolt rifles pretty well eliminate issues at the ocular end. And of course you may have issues at the objective/barrel end depending on your scope choice.

Leupold Super Low rings in either the Redfield windage adjustable style or the QR style are also very low. I'm not sure, but I believe the combination I described above is lower.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 08/15/18.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"