Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I’m going to have to get a set of those Grand Slam Top Mount bases for my Marlin 30-30. The aluminum 2-piece bases are tall and don’t look right.

I’m sure I’ve over tightened a base screw or two before I knew about locktight on mounts. Never had the same problem when wrenchin mx and crotch rockets though.

I assume that your Marlin 30-30 is a Model 336. If so, I have always used the 1-piece Weaver #63B on my Marlin 336s and Mossberg 472/429s. If you use QR rings, you can see down the "trench" of the Weaver #63B and use the open sights if you need/want to do so.

It’s a 30TK, same action. Currently sporting the 2-piece aluminum Top Mount bases, with the tunnel. I mean yeah, when the scope is off it’s great. And I’ve had the B-square, I think, action length tunnel style multi-slot. And I’ve used the Leupold dovetail front, windage adjustable rear, which is great with a larger scope. And I don’t really care for the one piece Weaver that hangs over the barrel.

Maybe it’s just vanity, but I’m mounting a Leupold 1-4x20 and I want something low and I want it to look good. I already have the Top Mount rings in both low and medium, and just need to order the 2-piece Grand Slam Top Mount bases to get this set up just like I want it.
And with the 1x, or 1.5x, or whatever the low setting really is, I don’t anticipate needing to use the irons. I guess I could carry an allen wrench in my kit just in case. But I think the rear soght notch might be visible with those low bases installed.

Last edited by DollarShort; 08/16/18.