The boys are now 5 months old and several are over 100 pounds. Everyone is castrated and all have healed over nicely. Not sure how long this growth rate will continue, as I assume they will slow down this winter. You read lots about not loading them down too heavily as yearlings while their bones are still growing, but I think I'd like to take them on a deer hunt already next year. They should be in the 150-180+ pound range and 15-20 pounds per goat with 7 goats ought to be plenty for camp and a deboned deer. Their personalities and pecking orders are forming. They've grown from incessantly bugging you and pestering you little kids to big healthy eating sized goats. They no longer jump on you. They can all lead and mind their manners around my son. When he is in their pen now, they just nose him a little. No one knocks him over or tries to steal anything he has in his hands.

Odin is my heaviest around 110 pounds but he's got a lot more belly than the others. He's a hog, but really a sweatheart and he leads the best. You can walk him around wherever you like with just one finger on the collar. Kristofer has ridden him several times and Odin doesn't blink an eye.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ivar is also around 105-110, but he's got a much larger frame. This weird looking mofo is the youngest goat and could be 250+. I've got high hopes for him, but he is probably the most annoying the way he constantly nibbles on you at the pen. Once outside he's fine. The others with nose you and maybe nibble a tiny bit, but if you let he'll take your whole finger and chew on it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/27/18.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter