Ragnar is one of my favorites. I love his coloring and he's probably the bravest. He hates dogs and will cheap shot our dogs if they aren't looking. When he goes straight at them, they can usually avoid the hit. He'll even rear up for a big one, but hasn't connect so far. I do worry he might destroy some hippy mutt on the trail just because he can, but I need some level of this aggression in at least one of the goats for loose trail dogs, so I'm not correcting it for now. He's right in the middle of the pecking order, and a significant step below his brother Gunnar in size for now. Ragnar is in the lower 90s and not as tall as Gunnar now. Prior to this month, all of their measurements were identical. He's plenty friendly but usually stands away from the fence because he can't muscle his way through the bigger boys.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nigel is Katie's favorite and extremely sweet, but too low on the pecking order to get attention at the fence. I really like him and his horns. They are the only ones that seem to flare outward. He and Ragnar are about identical in size and have been for a while, but Ragnar has more fight in him than Nigel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then there's little Loki. He's always been the smallest and least developed. Even his horns and balls were smaller than the others. He's at least keeping pace with the other three above him, and if expressed as a percentage of body weight and chest girth, shows the largest gains. He's one of the best bred kids, but I still have my doubts about him. If I were to get rid of any, it would be him, even though he is Kristofer's favorite. While friendly, he doesn't dare to try to get petted with any of the others around. It's hard to say when to pull the trigger. I don't want to wait two years to decide on when or if he should go, but he may actually turn out nicely, so I don't want to send him down the road yet and I'd really like 7 goats and don't want to bottle feed again next year. He's barely 80 pounds now and by far the shortest and smallest in every measurement. Dang, he's little compared to the others, but 80 pounds at 5 months ain't bad by itself.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter