I’d wait as long as possible to band. If they aren’t exhibiting really bucky behaviors at 3 months, and most won’t, then I’d wait if you can(pissing on their faces or backs of the legs primarily). I can’t for the life of me understand why a vet would say to avoid alfalfa entirely on young kids. When I was a kid that’s all we fed too.They are so scared of urinary calculi, it’s crazy.

My kids are just two this year and four of the 7 around 220ish. I really don’t have a great feel for how big they will get but seems like well over 250 on four of them. Admittedly that’s not far away and if they grow til 3 ish, which they are supposed to, then, maybe getting close to 300. I don’t want to say that too loudly yet though and get my hopes up. I still feed alfalfa exclusively, but have stopped grain at 1. I bottle fed until about four and a half months and around there is where I castrated too.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter