Originally Posted by Pappy348
Handle a bunch of rifles personally and pick the one that fits you best, including stuff like safety manipulation, magazine type, etc. Then decide on the cartridge from those available in that model. Honestly, I see no need for any of the magnums in the East, even if you include Kentucky elk. Other than that, pick a cartridge and use good bullets, and you should be fine. There's all kinds of debate here on cartridge virtues, but except for very specialized usage, they're all fine, especially if you reload and aren't dependent on Walmart for your ammo. Any of the standard rounds should give you good bore-life too, important I think in one's go-to rifle.

BTW, there are caliber restrictions on those Kentucky and Pennsylvania elk, if those are on your list of possibilities.

This ^^^^^^ pretty well sums it up. Pick the rifle that feels best to YOU. Any of the cartridges would work. I finally settled on .270 Win because (as noted above) that is the legal minimum if God ever blesses me with a KY Elk tag...

Rem 700 KS LH barreled action chambered .270 Win in a Rimrock stock with Leupold 2.5x8x40 scope.