These threads are both interesting and boring to read. Interesting, to get a sense of what current thought patterns are for choices. Boring, when in the end, there is nothing pragmatically new.

“All around” is a compromise. Not perfect. A compromise. Should be effective whatever the owner/hunter/shooter uses as selection criteria. Therefore it will naturally be different for everyone. Then input “ bias” or “ preference” for action design.

In the end, calibers from 6.5 mm/ .26 ( maybe .243 and .257) on the small end, to 308” - 338+ on a 2” case (“308 family”) to 2.5” case (“30-06 family”) on the big end will come up in the answer. And more importantly, whatever you choose IS the right answer, because they all work-based on the owner’s selection. Hunt elk? Go bigger. Just hunt deer? Go smaller. No surprises there.

More important to me is PROFICIENCY of the hunter/shooter of “ the selected all around rifle” ( and load) rather than the rifle itself. It goes to the “ beware of the shooter with one gun, as he/she probably knows how to use it” train of thought.

I’m thinning the herd of my rifles. First, eliminating calibers and components (sold off .257”, .270, 7mm, .358”, 9.3 mm, .458”). Sticking with .308” ( 4 30-06 rifles, 1 308 Win, 1. 30-30). I could have kept any of the calibers for my needs, but settled on .308. That is MY choice of caliber. Action preference is bolt / lever: JC Higgins FN Mauser “98”, BACO USA-era Win 70 sporter, Marlin 336a, Tikka T3 varmint. Optics: 2.5x to 6x fixed power scopes ( vintage Lyman AA, Weaver micro-trac, Leupold m8, Burris Signature)

I just want to shoot what I have more often, and simplify reloading inventory. Will sell off a couple of the 30-06 rifle in due time-after I play with them a bit.

Nothing new to my thought process. Pretty boring overall. In the end, I am shooting more. That is good. Just my 2c.

Next, is pistol “ herd thinning.”...

Last edited by buttstock; 11/25/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."