Originally Posted by Caribou
79s, 99 outta 100 Alaska State Troopers are just right for the job, but the Human Factor included, that 1 in a hundred crossing your path is [bleep].
Fact is, if they were more interested in the truth and Justice rather than image, we would see it at 100% very soon.

Lets hope so!!

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Back to the question of firearms.......

Caribou, why does your wife shoot a Moisin with open sights when there are so many seemingly better options?

I'm not anti-Moisin, I've got a 1917 Remington Armory and a Finnish M39, but they aren't rifles that I would want to depend on to feed myself or my family if there were other options.

The M-39 is her preferred rifle.

We once had a collection of more than 120 various Mosins. I discovered the Finns M-28/30 when I was in high school in a bi-athlon class. Cant argue with an exceedinly accurate rifle, and Simo Hyha, thehighest scoring sniper ever did it with an open sighted Mosin M-28/30

The M-39, the successor to the M-28/30 in Finish Civil Guard use is ultra accurate and quality, consistent ammo in the form of Czeck LPS 'Silver tip' was available for 68$ per 800, so we bought 40 crates laugh

Shooting the same rifle with the same consistent ammo produces excellent results.

My wife is 5'1 and 125lbs. The 10 lbs of rifle is nothing for her to carry all day, the weight keeps the recoil off her as well. It travels well on a snowgo with its steel but plate and a bunji cord, has a positive safety that also locks the bolt closed.
The bolt is straight and easy to use with gloves on as is the trigger guard large.
Theres a cleaning rod to keep the chamber scrubbed and snow out of the muzzle.
The sling is side mounted for easier riding across the chest, so snow wont accumulate (it will anyways) too much and if you wreck your ride, you can wrap and roll with it, instead of break your back.
the firing pin can be adjusted to the deep cold, the wood covers the metals so our hands dont freeze or burn from the steel, the sights are awesome, the triggers tuned and when SAKO and Tikka made them with Valmet, who could make a greater rifle??

Remember,I was the Hunter in the family before I was made a felon. because she ahd to step up to pull the trigger, we had quite a learning curve and a pretty good time. Not much different than when I taught our sons how to hunt, all right.
my wife did follow her parents and did some hunting as a kid on her own, but shes one to tend kids , home and such work, and hunting wasnt her main occupation in our marriage.
I am the one with the skill sets needed for a living to be made. Her hardest time was tring to learn the lead on moving Caribou, because after the first shot, all Caribou are moving.

She has tried several types of rifle, and has a vast selection still, if shes wants to use something else.A Nat Match M1A has been a fun toy, and I tryed her out this spring, but wen back to the M-39 when I found one that shot as I liked.

When I gave the M1A a try, I do very well, ''Untill" I need to lead something moving. Man, that peep drives me nuts then....with more practice , I will master it, but for serious hunting, well, Thats where Im at with a rifle, the m-39, because I have leading 'Down'
[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_HeadshotHeartshotHeadshot.mp4[/img]
When I can get 3 for 3 as routinely as I can with my M-39, or a double tap to the head at 450 yards on a moving Bear, Ill consitter the rifle.

[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_BB11AgnesIandaBrownbear.mp4[/img]

Thanks for the answer. A rugged rifle is a good choice in an inhospitable environment.

My M39 is a Sako, made in 1944 for the Civil Guard and marked SK.Y.

My 1917 Remington Armory is one of the rifles made for Imperial Russia. When they defaulted on the purchase, the U.S. Army bought some to be used as basic training rifles and mine has the U.S. Army Ordinance Cartouche "RAW".on the right side of the stock and a flaming bomb cartouche on the bottom of the stock just forward of the magazine.

Too bad they can't tell us their histories.