Originally Posted by Caribou
Originally Posted by rost495
Merry Christmas to all!

Chip, I've found that half a blade of lead on moving targets with the M1A wide blade is often more than enough at about 300 yards or so. Obviously that depends on a lot, but I prefer when using irons to figure out how much of the blade, IE it might the the full left or right side and go from there, once have that in my head I can just continue to trophy trigger the gun like it was a rattle battle match.

While camped this summer, I was chucking chunks of wood into the river and bangin' away, until I wouldn't see 'em anymore,
Ive been using the Marine Corp M-14 Rifle manual, a 1/2 sheet of plywood painted white out to 800 yards, and 10 inch gongs set up about 100 yards apart .1.000 yards next summer, with some more targets and a better place for such a distance (willows get in the way after 800 yards)
Getting on paper isnt hard at all, nor is bangin' the gongs out there. PMC 'Bronze' 150 grain 7.62x51 at about 40 rounds a day.

Lots of practice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think a 30-06 is about ''all around' when it comes to Alaska. None of those folks on Last Alaskans are undergunned.
I bet Heimo got a great education in 'use enough gun' his younger days on St.Lawernce Island learning to hunt the ocean as the Siberian Yup'ik Eskimo family of Edna's did.

I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.