I have a new Ruger Hawkeye in .223, along with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 scope with the typical stepped crosshairs.

Haven't shot it, have barely had it out of the box.

Never used anything as small as the .223 for anything as big as antelope or deer (previous experience includes .243 Win, .257 Roberts, 7mm-08, .270 and 30-06), but I'm considering it for next hunting season here in Nevada. I don't hunt coyote, groundhogs or assorted vermin.

Anyone here want to pass on some words of wisdom concerning this rifle, my scope choice, preferred ammo, and max range if not twisting dials?

I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for some Win 55gr PowerPoints to start off with, although I can handload if factory ammo doesn't perform well in this rifle.

And actually, I was even considering trading off the rifle for something smaller and lighter (Howa Mini Action?), because I want my wife and kids to have something to use with minimum recoil if I can ever persuade them to come hunt with me.

Anyway, if you don't mind, tell me what you think the limitations of this pipsqueak cartridge are and how you put yours to work hunting medium-size game.

Thanks!

Last edited by czech1022; 01/04/19.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke