Originally Posted by jorgeI
Form: Any experiences with the 257 weatherby and 100gr Hornady Interlocks ? I've taken around fifty deer with this round and not one has ever taken a step. Ranges from 50-350 yards or so, J

Not sure on the Interlocks, but yes with the 257 Bee, though not a ton of animals. It’s done well, but it’s working on the same principles- wide wound path that often directly or indirectly effects the spinal cord/CNS.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
FormDUDE, You're not going against the grain much with that post...you actually seem to be in agreement with most folks here, for the most part.

I especially agree with your assessment of really hard bullets causing rodeos...unless they hit bone, I have not seen a bullet worse for hunting than a FMJ or a mono at turtle speed.

Well I mainly meant going against the masses as a whole on the 223. Not sure there’s is anything that kills slower than a mono that barely opens.....

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've lost count of the amount of deer and antelope that I've killed or been in on killing with the 223, while also using it on a few elk. The 223 with good bullets and proper placement seems to kill stuff just as well as anything else, and proper placement with a 223 is a lot easier to achieve than with big boomers.

How did it on the elk? I saw where you used a 75gr Amax on one?

Originally Posted by Tyrone

What about deer at twenty yards?

Only a few under 30. Lots of damage, pure rib shots exit, if shoulders are hit it’s under the skin on the offside.

Originally Posted by prm
Suddenly the 6.5 Creedmoor feels like a big rifle!

Funny. There is so much anti Creedmoor hate going around, both on the internet and even in the military, that I told a buddy and planned to use nothing but the 6.5 this year just so I could make people groan when asked what I used. I killed an elk at a pretty decent clip, and I whitetail at just shy of 500. After that I went back to the 223 because the 6.5 was doing too much damage with the 130gr Berger. grin.....

But I’ve also started using other bullets in the 223 on meat because I don’t want to lose most of a quarter every time the the 77gr TMK hits bone.

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The 223 is capable of creating damage that makes most 30/06’s blush. There is no issue in the biggest of deer with a 77gr TMK inserted in the lungs. You can expect 20’ish inches of penetration, even going through a shoulder, with a three to four inch wide wound channel. If you hit a shoulder, it’s pretty much gone.

What about deer at twenty yards?