Originally Posted by Rhettsker

Ingwe, Form, and others,

With the monos and the .22 CF calibers, do you tend to alter your shot placement (e.g. aim for the shoulder bones, etc) or possible use only head/neck shots. In other words, what is preferred shot placement with the monos in a 22 caliber? Also, do you differ shot placement depending upon whether using a mono vs. a bonded bullet?

Thanks much and great topic,
R

I personally do. With monos I want bone to help with opening. The more bone they hit, the better they preform and the wounds are small enough that a lot of meat isn’t lost even if popping shoulders. With bullets like the 77gr TMK and 75gr Gold Dot it depends. Bucks get broke shoulders, meat gets rib shots. These bullets cause enough damage that if they hit bone, you’ll lose most or all of that quarter. Booners I’m not to concerned with that, but on meat I am.

Originally Posted by ChetAF
Form,

I have always had good luck with Partitions, as they have a really soft nose section that comes apart, with the rear section usually punching through. Have you used many in the 6.5 or .223?

Lots. Partitions are probably the most consistent bullets made from a terminal perspective. Matter of fact, thinking about it- they might be the only bullets I’ve never seen anything weird with. Accuracy hasn’t ever been great in the .22’s, though good enough for most uses. Above that Partitions have been great.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Form- couple good posts!

I agree on most points, though I do love me some monos in the little guns....however on the damage subject I did use the Nosler 64 BSB on a couple deer and considered the damage to be excessive, so quit using them. The monos do indeed leave smaller wounds channels. In the dozens of deer Ive killed and butchered, most looked like they had been killed with a drill ...but if that wound channel is in the right place, Ive had excellent results.
Had good results with the old 55 grain Trophy Bonded,and am getting some good results with the 55 Gr. speer Gold Dot.

The 64gr BSB is a monster of a bullet. It was engineered to do exactly that- put big holes deep into tissue. As you said though.... stay away from bone.

I dig the monos. Don’t want anyone to think otherwise. I’ve killed a lot with 70gr TSX’s, as well as the lighter versions. They work well, but do have a relatively narrow and deep wound channel. Not a problem as long as a person understands that. I treat monos like an arrow that goes through bone.