Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just checked an article I wrote for GUNS magazine last year on using .22 centerfires for big game. I researched the rules in all 50 states, and they're legal in over 2/3, and legal for some kinds of big game in several of others.

As I noted in the article, quite a few hunters (usually older) have an immediate gut reaction against hunting deer with "twenty-twos," probably due to .22 rimfires. The same hunters are usually fine with using 6mm's, though sometimes (because they're old enough to remember the day before 6mm's) desire a minimum of .25 caliber. Guess what? The difference in diameter between a .224 bullet and 6mm or .25 is about the thickness of human fingernails, though of course depending on individual nails.

I'm "older" and my gut reaction is "why do you need something as big as a 6mm?" grin cool

You need a 6mm 'cause of numerology. Small numbers mean power, and you cannot argue with St. Augustine of Hippo - first, he's a saint, and second, he's dead.

[Linked Image]

I could never trust using a 223 for deer, but a 6mm/223 is different. The 6mm/223 is smaller, but it's a vastly superior cartridge. I can prove it using math and numericals in numerology..

223 - 2+2+3 = 7
6/223 - 6+2+2+3 = 13 - 1+3 = 4 (4 is smaller than 7)

From this, we see that a 223 is a 7. The 6mm/223 is a 4.

Saint Augustine might argue that you got lucky, being able to take those animals. 7 is a lucky number after all.

Even in metricals, it works the same.

5.56x45mm - 5+5+6+4+5 = 25 --- 2+5 = 7
6x45mm - 6+4+5 = 15 --- 1+5 = 6 (6 is smaller than 7)

Mathematically speaking, the proof is right in front of you. Perhaps that is the reason why Americans don't like metricals, but you cannot deny science!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]