There always seems to be two broad categories of people regarding 223/deer posts.

One spouts endlessly how shooting deer with a 223 is unethical and will be the biggest mistake of your life but hasn’t done it.

The other actually does it, reports back, provides evidence, and generally finds the 223 very successful on deer just like other cartridges.

I’ve taken over a dozen of deer with the 223, two Black Bear and a pronghorn and have had nothing good results. This year I had a deer run it’s farthest from a hit with a 223. I shot a very large whitetail doe at 80 yards broadside through both lungs with a 55 gr Hornady SP, she ran about a 100 yards. Fried both lungs, great blood trail, no exit. Ironically I had shot a doe with almost the identical shot with my 338 WM and after punching literally a fist size hole through her, she also ran 100 yards.

Excuse my ingnorance but if anyone wants to said Hornady 55 sp pm me, maybe you can post it. I’ve never bothered posting pics on here I’ll read up on it.

Last edited by smallfry; 01/05/19.