I killed about 12 mule deer with a 22-250 years ago using Speer 70 grain semi-spitzers. Never lost one, but some of the bullet made good straight wound channels and a few turned off at angles in the bodies. I wish the jackets were a bit thicker in the shank area.

After I have satisfied my curiosity I quit using that rifle for deer hunting because I had no real need to use it, having 25s 6.5MM, several 270s 308s 30-06s 300, 338s and also a 375H&H 458s 460s and a 50-140 Sharps in my safe. I have always liked larger rifles, but I don't preach that such tools are needed. If someone can shoot well and uses any bullet that will give good expansion with full penetration, a big gun is not needed. I just like them.

I have seen about 20 other hunters kill deer and antelope with center fire 22s, all 223s and 22-250s using well made "deer bullets". Nosler Partitions and Barnes X types of 60 grains and heavier. All did very well.

I saw 5 deer killed with 65 grain Sierras from a Remington M700 in 223, but I have to say I was not very impressed with them. They killed the deer, (all white tails) but only one of the 5 exited the body, and the other all blew up badly. All were well placed so no deer were lost, but in one case the wound was only about 9" deep.

Just last week I loaded 100 rounds of 223 for my AR15, with 60 grain Nosler Partitions. The 223 is a legal round for deer and antelope in Wyoming with bullets of 60 grains or heavier. I may never shoot one with an AR, but if I get an urge to do it I thought I should have some ammo made for the task. I loaded my 5.56 "hunting ammo" with 24.6 Gr H4895 in WW brass and I get right at 1 MOA with them, so that's plenty good for deer or antelope out to any range I would shoot at them with a 223. I would limit myself to 300 yards personally.

The AR15 is also an excellent tool for smaller hunters because of it's tele-stock and extremely low recoil. Because of that I have loaned my ARs to hunters several times in the past and so far all of them (mostly kids and small women) have done very well in their hunts, and nearly all of them got an AR for themselves afterwords.

The 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel are favored, but many have used the standard 5.56 for deer and antelope with good bullets,and done fine. The deer and antelope do not always drop at the shot when hit with the 223s, but I have yet to see one go more than about 40 yards.

Last edited by szihn; 02/23/19.