I have used various .22s on deer quite extensively over the years, going back to the mid 1990s.

.22 Hornet- The main rifle used was an Anschutz, HB that is extremely accurate with 45 grain Soft Points and the old Solid Base BTs from Nosler. I used a Ruger a few times that belonged to a friend and it perfroemd equally like my Anschutz on game but I have tremendous confidence in the Anschutz's accuracy. This was mainly used for culling does and a few small bucks with CNS shots at the base of the head and neck. I dont remember ever taking body shots, as that was not the intent and used it for what were considered controlled shots to 125 yards +/-. It worked but would pass on shots not considered ideal. The low recoil and blast were great and did not spook deer stands too much. The Hornet really should be used by patient, practiced shooters.

.222 Rem- Of all the the 22 CFs used, this might be my favorite but least used. The main rifle was an older 700 with 26" barrel. It was used similar to the Hornet with 50-55 grain SPs, V-Max, and Bergers. The SPs were used the most and when the CNS was hit, it was lights out. I used it a few times on lung and heart shots with the SPs and it worked very well but they were classic, relaxed broadside shots. I was confident with the 222 to 175 yards max on precision shots. Again, the low blast made it a lot of fun. One day, I want to build a custom 222, probably with a 24 inch barrel, that can accompany me in fixed deer stands or as a truck gun. V-Max were accurate but obviously explosive which were good for CNS hits.

.223 Rem- Most of my experience with 223 and deer were used with ARs. A few accurate bolt guns have been used but I have carried ARs the past 10 years more than anything else, mainly due to the fact I was trying for hogs at the same time. Blast is definitely more intense than the Hornet and 222 BUT since getting a suppressor, it has become my favorite. I started using 55-60 grain SPs then got into the various Barnes bullets thinking I was going to have a more full proof trophy deer setup. I shot a few very nice bucks with 70 gr TSXs but none of the reactions were impressive. To me, it was similar to shooting deer with a pistol; it worked but kind of ho-hum. All bullets exited but there were very little to no blood trails. Most deer ran 30-70 yards after being hit in the lungs, shoulder, or heart. However, my best buck with a 223 was hit at 75 yards, quartering to me in the shoulder then exited the off side ribs going through both lungs. The buck ended up running 200 yards with only a trace of blood spots. I found the buck after looking for 45 mins and walking each trail but it left me scratching my head. Fast forward to this past season. I shot a doe broadside in the heart and got the classic rear leg kick out. After getting out of my stand and loading up the truck, it started raining hard. I looked for 2 hours plus the next day and never could find her. I'm confident I hit her exactly where I wanted, but little to no blood trail is a problem. Since then, I'm trying out lighter TSXs and considering going back to the 60 grain SPs.

22-250 Rem- By far, I have used 22-250s the most out of all the 22 CFs on deer. I started with an A-Bolt with 1:14 twist and BOSS. This rifle took many deer, mainly with good ole yellow and green box, 55 grain Soft Points. These bullets seem to kill much LARGER than they should, if that makes sense. It acted more like a larger cartridge. I used them on everything from CNS hits to heart and lung to shoulder shots. I dont remember ever losing a deer or having to make long recoveries as they typically were within eye sight distance to the hit, if not right there. On one doe, I was with a friend filling tags. We spotted 3 does, 200 yards out in a short stubble field edge. I fired at the largest and thought I had missed. My buddy was looking through binos and was convinced too that I missed but we could only see 2 flags running off in the woods. We drove over to the spot and she was laying there. With the 55 grain SP, she dropped so fast neither of us saw it, and she was hit square through both shoulders WITH an exit. Impressive. I ended up getting tired of the blast from the BOSS, even though it worked as advertised on accuracy, and rebarrelling the rifle with a 26", 9 twist Kreiger. The rifle is very, very accurate but I have hardly used it since. Since then, I have been using an 8 twist, Rem Sporter profile Lilja, on a 700. It shoots Scriroccos well and they perform nicely. However, I have been loading up 70 gr NABs in it and think these might be the best. I like the bonded bullets in the 22-250. They seem to be a good hybrid between SPs and TSXs. The TSXs are great, especially driven very fast. A friend is pushing the 70s through a much faster cartridge than the 22-250 and that appears to be the ticket for them. Out of all the 22CFs, I have used, the 22-250 does put deer down harder than the rest, as it should, since its driving bullets faster. On mature bucks, I'm confident with it to 200 yards.