My wife's co-worker/friend ( a "she") has taken something like 22 whitetails in 22 Maine deer seasons with a Savage 340 in 222 Rem with a 4x Weaver and factory loads ( can't tell you the make or bullet weight, but either 50 or 55 grain cup and core bullets). She never lost a deer while using the 222 Rem. She never took more than one shot at a deer. She is very patient. She has passed on taking a shot several times, waiting for the best shot for her. She is not a great shot, but she is both a patient, and disciplined hunter-which is obviously very important for her set up.

She hunts from a free stand on her father's farm. A long shot for her is 50 yards. She aims for the base of the head.

She eventually bought a 308 Winchester. She said she just wanted more power in case she got a moose lottery license, and retired the 222 Rem.

I have a 222 Rem. It is legal in Maine. It wouldn't be my first choice for deer hunting, but if I was hungry and it was all I had- I would use it and be selective with my shot.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."