I read most of the posts on this and find it a bit incredible.

I understand sentiment on tradition - been doing it since 1973 or so, '75 as a 12 year old with a license. I shot my first deer just outside of Marienville in Elk County. My moms famy is all from Clearfield. We hunted Turkey, deer, bears up there for years. I get it.

I also recall the days of the pumpkin army invading the woods, 100 shots in the first hour, deer running everywhere, and any buck larger than a 3" spike getting shot. 80% of the buck kill in those days were 18 month old deer.

I recall the 'horror' over antler restrictions. Woods be littered with dead bucks too small to tag, never shoot another buck again, etc. Last year I saw 5 bucks on the first day, including a legal nice 8 pt that didn't present a shot right after daylight. Shot an 18" 8 pt on Weds of the second week. My dad shot its twin the same evening.

I am now an out of stater. I drive 600 miles to hunt their because of the tradition involved. Wouldn't miss the first day for anything. This year I'll do something really crazy. Drive up Thursday, hang stands on Friday, hunt Saturday, drive 600 miles home on Sunday. I'll repeat the following Friday to hunt Saturday and stay the following week when does are legal and guys are home bitching about the lack of deer, crappy weather or some other complaint. I'd be willing to bet I hang a decent buck and a doe or two by the end of the season.

Suffice to say, I'm ok with a Saturday opener, antler restrictions, and hopefully Sunday hunting next year. We only have so many seasons on this earth. Let's savor what we have. Carry on.

Last edited by bwinters; 04/10/19.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.