Originally Posted by jaguartx
Its psychotic to think the writers of the Bible could have put untruths in the Bible since they were mere mortals and then believe the pope is scripturally infallable while he is also a mere mortal.

So, the Lord whispers to him but didnt whisper to Matthew, Mark, John, or the other story tellers who wrote the Bible.

It is my understanding that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that scripture is authoritative & true.

Unlike historic Protestants who believe the Church derives its authority from the Bible, RC teaches the opposite, that the Bible derives it’s authority from the Church, and that therefore the Church has the authority to interpret it.

I could be wrong and NH can correct me, but that’s my understanding.

To shed further light on this from a different point of view I’d suggest that a major difference between Roman Catholic & Historic Protestant philosophy is one of pre-modernism vs modernism, respectively. When you get into the radical Protestants like Curdog and many others (pretty much all of American Evangelicalism) you’re into post-modernism.

Just a thought I’ve had as I’ve pondered various approaches to religion... I could be wrong and am happy to entertain where that might be...